Rajkumar Hirani is an Indian film director and editor. He is widely regarded as one of the most successful and critically acclaimed filmmakers in the history of Indian Cinema. Hirani is known for directing the Hindi films Munna Bhai M.B.B.S, Lage Raho Munnabhai, 3 Idiots, PK and Sanju. All of his films have been huge commercial and critical successes. Most have won several awards, including the national awards, and have often been regarded by the media and audiences as some of the most path-breaking films in the history of Hindi cinema. He has won 11 Filmfare Awards. He is the founder of production house Rajkumar Hirani Films and suraj production house.
Early life and education
Hirani was born on 20 November 1962 in Nagpur to a Sindhi family. His ancestors originally belong to Mehrabpur, a city in the Naushahro Firoz District, Sindh, of British India. His father Suresh Hirani ran a typing institute in Nagpur. Rajkumar Hirani studied at St. Francis De’Sales High School, Nagpur, Maharashtra. He did his graduation in commerce. His parents wanted him to be a chartered accountant, but he was more keen on theatre and film.
In his college days he was involved with Hindi theatre. Suresh had his son’s photographs taken and sent him to an acting school in Mumbai. However, Hirani could not fit in and returned to Nagpur after three days. His father then asked him to apply to the Film and Television Institute of India in Pune, but the acting course had shut down and his chances of admission to the directorial course looked slim as there were far too many applicants. Hirani opted for the editing course, and earned a scholarship.
- Friend with Aamir Khan.
- Considered as one of the best directors of 21st century.
- Friend with Sanjay Dutt.
- All of his directorial are critical and commercial successes.
- Owns the production house “Rajkumar Hirani Films”.
- Co-produces films with Vidhu Vinod Chopra.
- Has a son Vir Hirani.
- Approached Vidhu Vinod Chopra to produce his film “Sanju“.
- Is married to Manjit Hirani.
- Trained in filmmaking from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
- Formed a good pair with writer Abhijat Joshi in screenplay writing.
- Is educated from St. Francis De’Sales High School, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- God sent to the viewing public. Has made a handful of movie and each a gem. He manages blockbusters without the usual trappings. The mass appeal movies with a heart is his trademark.
- God-sent to the viewing public. Has made a handful of movie and each a gem. He manages blockbusters without the usual trappings. The mass appeal movies with a heart is his trademark.