Hugh Michael Jackman is an Australian actor and producer who is involved in the film, musical theatre, and television. Jackman has won international recognition for his roles in major films, notably as action/superhero, period and romance characters.
Hugh Jackman was born in Sydney, New South Wales, the son of Grace McNeil (née Greenwood) and Christopher John Jackman, a Cambridge-trained accountant. Fans had numerous opportunities to see Jackman on the big screen in 2006. He took a humorous turn that summer as a possible serial killer in Woody Allen’s comedy Scoop, and in fall he starred opposite Oscar winner Rachel Weisz in the stylish The Fountain as a man who searches through three different time periods concurrently, on a single spiritual journey. That same autumn, Jackman could also be seen in the dark fantasy The Prestige, (co-star: Christian Bale & Scarlett Johansson) playing a turn of the century magician who some speculate performs real magic, and before winter, audiences were hearing his vocal work in a pair of animated films, Flushed Away and Happy Feet.
2006 also proved to be the year Jackman announced he would produce and star in a big-screen adaptation of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel.
Profile of Hugh Jackman
- Name: Hugh Michael Jackman
- Other Name: Hugh Jackman
- Born: 12 October 1968
- Star Sign: Libra
- Birth Place: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Height: 6 feet 2 inches
- Education: BA in Communications from University of Technology, Sydney
- Profession: Actor, Producer
- Citizenship: Australia
- Language: English
Family of Hugh Jackman
- Spouse: Deborra-Lee Furness (m. 1996)
- Children: Ava Eliot Jackman, Oscar Maximilian Jackman
- Parents: Grace Watson, Chris Jackman
- I just love making a fool out of myself. I made my living as a clown at kids’ parties for about three years.
- I’m an actor who believes we all have triggers to any stage of emotion. It’s not always easy to find but it’s still there.
- Now I meet people with full-color Wolverine tattoos on their backs. Thank God I did okay because I think if I hadn’t, they’d spit on me in the street.
- It dawned on me that acting was what I wanted to do with my life. Nothing had ever touched my heart like acting did.
- Being on Broadway is the modern equivalent of being a monk. I sleep a lot, eat a lot, and rest a lot.
- I have a wife and a son, but the gay rumors have started. I guess it’s a sign that I’m moving up the ladder.
- I’m a big goofball, you know. Don’t tell anyone that, but I’m a big goofball. In Australia, we call it a dag.
- We feel that there are so many kids who need adopting. We thought we’d do it after having a couple of our own, but we just changed our mind.
- My gosh, I love food. If I wasn’t an actor, I could be a completely different body shape right now.
- My agent said to me five years ago, ‘Hugh, I can see one day you… if I had to plan a goal for you, it’s for you to have the kind of career that Sinatra had.