Onika Tanya Maraj, better known as Nicki Minaj is an Trinidadian-American rapper known for her singles ‘Super Bass‘ and ‘Anaconda‘ and her acting appearances in ‘Ice Age: Continental Drift‘ and ‘The Other Woman‘. Minaj was born on December 8, 1982 in Saint James, Trinidad and Tobago and raised in Jamaica, Queens, New York. Her parents are Robert Maraj, a financial executive of half Indo-Trinidadian and half Afro-Trinidadian ancestry, and Carol Maraj, who is of Afro-Trinidian heritage, and held a variety of jobs including an accounting clerk, foreign-exchange teller and gospel singer. She grew up in a troubled family with a father that was a drug addict who later changed after he checked into rehab and started going to church. Minaj went to LaGaurdia High School and studied singing and acting.
Minaj has been creating mix tape tracks since 2004, and appeared in XXL magazine. The big breakthrough for Minaj came when Wayne added his rhymes to her “High as a Kite” single, a mix tape favorite in 2008. Same year she won the Female Artist of the Year award at the Underground Music Awards. She has seen success well beyond the mainstream, exploding into international pop stardom since singing with signing a record deal with Lil Wayne‘s Young Money Entertainment in 2009. In 2010, Minaj released her highly anticipated debut album Pink Friday, featuring a blend of hip-hop (“Roman’s Revenge”), bubblegum pop (“Check it Out,” a duet with rapper will.i.am), and smooth R&B (“Right thru Me,” “Here I Am”) sounds.
She’s appeared on the Billboard Hot 100 chart forty-four times, and has received seven BET Awards as well as four American Music Awards. To date, she’s sold five million albums worldwide.
Birth Name: Onika Tanya Maraj Other Name: Nicki Minaj, Onika Maraj, Cookie, Harajuku Barbie Date of Birth: Dec 08, 1982 - Age 32 Height: 5'2" (1.57 m) Hometown: Jamaica, Queens, New York City Education: La Guardia High School Occupation: Rapper
Facts of Nicki Minaj
- Nicki is of Indian and Afro-Trinidadian descent.
- Although a Queens, New York representative, she was born in Saint James, Port Of Spain, Trinidad And Tobago.
- Nicki Minaj has two brothers named Jelani and Makiya.
- Thus far, she’s the only female emcee to be included on Forbes’s Hip-Hop Cash Kings list.
- Nicki’s cousin Nicholas Telemaque was murdered in Brooklyn in July 2011.
- She held past jobs in administrative assistance, customer service and office management.
- Her debut album, Pink Friday, has been certified 4X Platinum.
- Nicki played the clarinet in middle school.
- Her mother was a gospel singer.
- Nicki Minaj is a Sagittarius.