Dylan O’Brien is an American actor and musician. O’Brien became known for his role in the MTV series Teen Wolf. He first got noticed in his senior year of high school by a director who saw the YouTube videos he did at the time.
There are many television actors who make the leap to the cinema. However, few manage to build a career of a certain regularity. We’ll see if that is the case of Dylan O’Brien, who, despite his youth, points out ways.
Early Life of Dylan O’Brien
O’Brien was born in New York City, the son of Lisa (née Rhodes), a former actress who also ran an acting school, and Patrick, a camera operator. His father is of Irish descent and his mother is of English, Spanish, and Italian ancestry.
Dylan grew up in Springfield Township, Union County, New Jersey, before moving with his family to Hermosa Beach, California when he was 12 years old. Before getting bit by the acting bug, Dylan planned to attend film school and become a cinematographer, just like his father. But once he landed the role of Scott’s (Tyler Posey) goofy sidekick Stiles on Teen Wolf (2011), he decided to put off school (he was initially under consideration for the role of Scott, but he was more interested in playing Stiles).
Before beginning his career in acting, O’Brien produced, directed and starred in a number of comedic short films which he released through his personal YouTube channel. He was also the drummer for the independent rock band Slow Kids at Play.
He plays “Stiles” Stilinski in the MTV Series Teen Wolf. He is the film lead in the dystopian science-fiction adventures The Maze Runner, consisting of The Maze Runner and its sequel, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. He is supposed to reprise his role in the final installment, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, which was to be released on February 17, 2017, but due to his injuries sustained on-set, 20th Century Fox first pushed the film back indefinitely, and later rescheduled it for January 12, 2018, release. He will headline the upcoming action-thriller adaptation of the bestselling novel American Assassin.
He went through several auditions before getting one of the main roles in MTV’s Teen Wolf, a series loosely based on the 1985 film of the same name. He had been intended to play Scott, but after reading the script, O’Brien wanted to audition for the part of Stiles instead. After four auditions he was cast.
In 2010, he played Stiles in the series. In 2013, O’Brien co-starred in the comedy film The Internship, with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. O’Brien produced, directed and starred in a number of comedic short films which he released through his personal YouTube channel. He was the drummer for the independent rock band Slow Kids at Play.
- Full Name: Dylan O’Brien
- Birth Date: August 26, 1991
- Zodiac Sign: Virgo
- Birth Place: New York City, New York, United States
- Hometown: Springfield Township, New Jersey, U.S.
- Height: 5′ 10″ (1.78 m)
- Residence: Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- Education: Mira Costa High School
- Occupation: Actor
- Years Active: 2011–present
- Favorite actors: Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon.
- Favorite actresses: Jennifer Aniston.
- Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Villain 2014 · Teen Wolf
- MTV Movie Award for Best Fight 2015 · The Maze Runner
- MTV Movie Award for Next Generation 2015 · The Maze Runner
- Young Hollywood Award for Best Ensemble Cast 2013 · Teen Wolf
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Chemistry 2016 · Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
- MTV Movie Award for Best Hero 2015 · The Maze Runner
- Teen Choice Award for Choice TV: Scene Stealer 2015 · Teen Wolf
- Young Hollywood Award for Breakthrough Performance – Male 2014
- Teen Choice Award for Choice AnTEENcipated Movie Actor 2016 · Deepwater Horizon
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Summer TV Star: Male 2016 · Teen Wolf
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Actor: Action/Adventure 2016 · Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
- Teen Choice Award for Choice TV Actor: Fantasy/Sci-Fi 2017 · Teen Wolf
O’Brien is in a relationship with actress Britt Robertson, whom he met in 2011 while filming The First Time.
- Father: Patrick O’Brien
- Mother: Lisa (née Rhodes)
- Sister: Julia O’Brien
- I feel like I’m good with girls. I understand them and am good at loving them. I’ve always felt like that’s been natural for me.
- I don’t really give much thought to the roles that I’d ideally love to play.
- I didn’t have that many friends my first few years of high school. It was very cliquey and I’m super shy, so it was hard to make friends.
- Growing up, I was in love with Jennifer Aniston from ‘Friends.’
- Part of growing up is realizing you learn to love so many people. It’s about forming those relationships and finding what will last forever.
- The thing I like a lot of acting is I’ll never learn enough. I’ll never know it inside and out.
- The perfect date is the one where anything and everything go wrong, but at the end of it, all you want is to see them again.
- In high school, girls started wearing high-waisted pants with their shirts tucked into them. I don’t get what that’s about.
- I’m never offered any sort of roles. I need to audition in a typically lengthy process to receive roles.
- I’m a big root beer guy.
- I’d like to get into some sort of workout regimen so I can properly be healthy and exercise like a normal human being. I seem to not do that… ever.
- I never have an opinion about clothes and know nothing about fashion.
- I love baseball – ‘Moneyball’ was my favorite book when I was 13.
- I just want to work with good filmmakers and do good projects that mean something to me and play interesting characters. That’s really it.
- I just happened to step into acting. And now I can’t imagine myself doing anything else.
- With TV, you just have to finish the days and get the episodes out. And it’s always going to be an impossible schedule. That’s the funny thing with TV that not a lot of people realize.
- My heroes are guys like Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon. These are amazing actors with amazing careers that every actor should aspire to. I’m not saying I’m going to get anywhere close. It’s not going to be an easy feat. I’m just in awe of their careers.
- I’m always a little innately shy when I first talk to a girl, and I think I always will be! But I think that’s a good thing. You don’t want to lose that.
- I was in school, but I wasn’t into school. I wasn’t doing what I wanted to be doing in school, which was film studies. That was what I intended on doing, but I didn’t go away to a university because I wanted to stay in L.A. and audition while I took classes, so I elected to go to a community college and just take G.E. courses. It was terrible.
- I moved to California when I was twelve and I got a video camera and made little movies because I didn’t have any friends yet. I would force my sister to make these movies with me – which became my YouTube channel.
- I just really like fun, cool, interesting, quirky girls. And sometimes you find that in 6’2 model bodies and sometimes they’re short and brunette. All shapes and sizes – it’s really about the personality.
- That sounds cliché, but it’s so freaking true!
- You don’t disrupt genius at work.
- Yeah, I’ve only been acting since I was 18 out of high school.
- When a chick has a sense of humor, there’s nothing more attractive.
More Info: Wiki | Twitter | Instagram | Official | IMDb