About: Sophia Loren is an Italian actress. She was born as Sofia Scicolone at the Clinica Regina Margherita in Rome, Italy, on 20 September 1934. Her father was married to another woman, and refused to adopt his illegitimate daughter, but did allow her to take his surname. Loren quickly became a major star and pin-up girl in Italy, and her first film to find success beyond her native land was La Donna del Fiume, released in America as The River Girl. Her first English-language film was Boy on a Dolphin with Alan Ladd in 1957, where she was memorable mostly for emerging from the water in a wet, skin-tight, transparent dress. As a child, she also had the nickname, “Toothpick”. In 1991, she was chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world. And in 1999, Loren was listed by the American Film Institute on AFI’s 100 Years… 100 Stars as #21 of 25 American female screen legends of all time. These days Sophia divides her time between Switzerland and Los Angeles where she is close to her sons and their families.
Name: Sofia Villani Scicolone
Other name: Sophia Loren, Sofia Lazzaro, Sofia Scicolone
Born: 20 September 1934
Star Sign: Virgo
Birth Place: Rome, Lazio, Italy
Residence: Geneva, Switzerland and Naples, Italy
Religion: Roman Catholic
Height: 5 feet 8½ inches
- Father: Riccardo Scicolone
- Mother: Romilda Villani (1910 to 9-May-1991)
- Sister: Anna Maria Scicolone
- Boyfriend: Cary Grant (actor, dated 1956-57)
- Husband: Carlo Ponti (m. 17-Sep-1957, annulled 1962, m. again 9 Apr 1966, d. 2007, two sons)
- Carlo Ponti Jr. (b. 29-Dec-1968)
- Edoardo Ponti (b. 6-Jan-1973)
- Lucia Ponti (b. 12 May 2006)
- Vittorio Ponti (b. 3 April 2007)
- Leonardo Fortunato Ponti (b. 20 December 2010)
- Beatrice Lara Ponti (b. 15 March 2012)
- Niece: Alessandra Mussolini (Actor, b. 1962)
Filmography of Sophia Loren
- Femina (2011) as Cast.
- Nine (2009) as Mamma.
- Peperoni Ripieni e Pesci in Faccia (2006) as Actor.
- Between Strangers (2002) as Olivia.
- Francesca and Nunziata (2001) as Francesca Montorsi.
- Soleil (1997) as Mama Titine.
- Grumpier Old Men (1995) as Maria Ragetti.
- Ready to Wear (1994) as Isabella De La Fontaine–Widow Of Olivier.
- Running Away (1990) as Cesira.
- Saturday, Sunday and Monday (1990) as Rosa Priore.
- Courage (1986) as Marianna Miraldo.
- Aurora (1984) as Aurora.
- Sophia Loren: Her Own Story (1980) as Sophia, Romilda Villani.
- Firepower (1979) as Adele Tasca.
- Blood Feud (1979) as Concetta Paterno.
- Brass Target (1978) as Mara.
- Angela (1978) as Angela Kincaid.
- Una Giornata Particolare (1977) as Antonietta.
- The Cassandra Crossing (1976) as Jennifer Rispoli Chamberlain.
- Verdict (1974) as Teresa.
- Pupa del gangster, La (1974) as Actor.
- Voyage, The (1974) as Adriana.
- Brief Encounter (1974) as Anna Jesson.
- Man of La Mancha (1972) as Dulcinea/Aldonza .
- Lady Liberty (1972) as Maddalena Ciarrapico .
- Bianco, Rosso e… (1971) as Sister Germana.
- Moglie del Prete, La (1971) as Valeria.
- Lady Liberty (1971) as Maddalena.
- Sunflower (1970) as Giovanna .
- Ghosts–Italian Style (1969) as Maria .
- A Countess From Hong Kong (1967) as Natascha .
- More Than a Miracle (1967) as Isabella .
- Judith (1966) as Judith Auerbach .
- Arabesque (1966) as Yasmin Azir .
- Lady L (1966) as Lady L .
- Operation Crossbow (1965) as Nora .
- The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) as Lucilla .
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (1964) as Adelina .
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (1964) as Mara .
- Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (1964) as Anna .
- Marriage Italian Style (1964) as Filomena Marturano .
- The Condemned of Altona (1963) as Johanna .
- Madame (1963) as Catherine Hubscher [Madame] .
- A Day in Court (1963) as Anna .
- Five Miles to Midnight (1963) as Lisa Macklin .
- Two Nights With Cleopatra (1963) as Cleopatra/Cleopatra’s double .
- Boccaccio ’70 (1962) as Zoe .
- Showman (1962) as Herself.
- El Cid (1961) as Chimene .
- The Millionairess (1961) as Epifania [Parerga] .
- Neapolitan Carousel (1961) as Sisina .
- Two Women (1961) as Cesira .
- Heller in Pink Tights (1960) as Angela Rossini .
- It Started in Naples (1960) as Lucia Curcio .
- A Breath of Scandal (1960) as Princess Olympia .
- That Kind of Woman (1959) as Katherine .
- The Black Orchid (1959) as Rose Bianco .
- Houseboat (1958) as Cinzia Zaccardi .
- The Key (1958) as Stella .
- Desire Under the Elms (1958) as Anna Cabot .
- The Pride and the Passion (1957) as Juana .
- Legend of the Lost (1957) as Dita .
- Boy on a Dolphin (1957) as Phaedra .
- Fortuna di essere Donna, La (1956)
- Gold of Naples, The (1955) as Wife.
- Sign of Venus, The (1955) as Actor.
- Woman Of The River (1955) as Nives.
- Attila (1954) as Honoria.
- Too Bad She’s Bad (1954) as Lina.
- Aida (1954) as Aida.
- Giorno in pretura, Un (1953)
- Favorita, La (1952)
- Tratta delle Bianche, La (1952)
- Altri Tempi (1952) as (“The Camera”/”La Macchina Fotografica”).
- Anna (1951)
- Luci del Varieta (1950)
- Nine (2009) as Song Performer (“Guarda La Luna”).
- 71st Annual Academy Awards Presentation, The (1999) as Presenter.
- 18th Annual American Fashion Awards, The (1999) as Award Recipient (“Lifetime Of Glamour”).
- 68th Annual Academy Awards, The (1996) as Presenter.
- Images of Life: Photographs That Changed the World (1996)
- 52nd Annual Golden Globe Awards, The (1995) as Honoree.
- 65th Annual Academy Awards Presentation, The (1993) as Presenter.
- 63rd Annual Academy Awards Presentation, The (1991)
- All-Star Salute to Our Troops, The (1991)
- Sinatra 75: The Best Is Yet to Come (1990)
- Michael Jackson (1988)
- Rich and Famous 1988 World’s Best (1988)
- World of Sophia Loren, The (1962) as Host.
- Mario Puzo’s The Fortunate Pilgrim (1988) as Lucia Angeluzzi Corbo.
MUSIC (feature film)
CAST (TV Mini-Series)
SEE ALSO: Sophia Loren Photos →